How is this December treating you so far!? I love this time of year, especially the christmas music everywhere. I even got to sing Bach in a choir here in Juneau, so much fun! My favorite thing is to sing, play and listen to christmas music while binge watching every hallmark christmas movie ever made. (Ask me for a list of my favorites sometime :))
I’ve been thinking a lot about adulting this year, especially because I’m away from my immediate family. I love all things christmas, but it feels a little different now that I’m a “certified” adult. It’s got me thinking a lot about the differences between my kid life and this awesome adventure I have going on now. Especially stuff that I definitely couldn’t do as a kid that I can totally do now. I made a little list just to prove it.
- Making christmas/thanksgiving food all by myself. I made pumpkin roll last week and I was barely able to share a piece of it! And this thanksgiving was the first that I was in charge of specific food with no adult supervision. It was liberating and a little scary, but my potatoes went over well I think.
- Present giving. I feel like I have always been a terrible gift giver, but in the last couple of years I think I’ve finally figured out how to be an adult and pick things for people that they might actually like! My struggle dates back to middle school, when I gave a close friend plastic food for christmas. I thought it was funny!!
- Practicing for literally anything. I STRUGGLED through high school to practice the piano. And let me tell you, the struggle struggled. I’d like to think that in these adult years, I could practice my little heart out. I probably won’t, but still, I could.
- Not having a full blown meltdown when I’m so sleepy I want to crawl under my covers and sleep for three days. How very adult like of me! I think being tired because of too many fun and good things makes that easier though. Plus pumpkin roll to get me through 🙂
- Round out my diet. I feel pretty on top of how to not just eat chicken nuggets and cereal for every meal. Don’t get me wrong, I still eat chicken nuggets and cereal all the time, I’m just saying I throw in some quinoa too. Maybe even a banana to keep the scurvy away.
I’m pretty sure I could go on, but I want to hear from you! What are some things that you most definitely couldn’t do as a kid that you can do now? And tell me your most favorite christmas movie too! I love finding new ones, the cheesier the better.
Happy second week of December everyone, follow me on Instagram at @dressingoptimistically for daily adventures and things, and like my page on facebook to be updated when I upload things! Here’s some fun adventure pictures for making it through my post. 🙂